I had great plans for this index, but you know how spare time is. A much better way to find what you are looking for is to check the RFC Index put together by the IETF's RFC Editor.
It seems that I spend my life dealing with mail. I need to get references in here regarding SMTP, ESMTP, LMTP, POP3, IMAP ... Some of the authentication schemes that exist, etc.
- RFC 2821 - Simple Mail Transport Protocol. This document describes SMTP.
- RFC 2822 - Internet Message Format. This RFC describes the format of an email message. I have been known to send this to people in response to HTML formatted messages and Microsoft Word documents.
- RFC 1081 - POP3
- RFC 3501 - IMAP
As the one time "DNS Queen", I had a whole list of RFCs that I referred to frequently. I've forgotten what they all are, but now and then I am asked to give my opinion on some obscure detail. I need to build this list up for quick reference later.
- RFC 2317 - Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation. This RFC presents the recommended way to handle delegation of reverse DNS for subnets smaller than /24 (a Class C).
I used to do a lot of work with DHCP, including the development of a DHCP load tester. Here is where I need to itemize the various DHCP documents.
- RFC 1597 - Address Allocation for Private Internets
- RFC 1517, RFC 1518, RFC 1519, RFC 1520 - Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR)
VPN, Tunneling, Encryption
- RFC 1413 - ident/auth
- RFC 1855 - Netiquette Guidelines. I should probably send this to people now and then.